It is once again time to honour our war heroes, our vetarans, our defence forces. We should honour them every day, but ANZAC Day, April 25, is set aside to remember the sacrifices they made on our behalf in a very considered and reverent way, with purpose - lest we forget.
Commemorative services have been organised across the Hilltops region to remember the fallen and reflect on and pay respect to those involved in the events that occurred during World War I, World War II and all conflict since.
RSL Young Sub-Branch president Bill Mitchell said that they had planned a great commemorative day, including an address from Army Colonel Stephen Hledik.
“I thought it was time we had an army person,” Mr Mitchell said.
“We are also being graced by the Air Force who will perform a Catafalque with arms.
“The cadets have got 8 services to do during the day.
“They will be a support guard for the Cataflaque.”
Pastor Neil Percival and Hilltops Mayor Margaret Rowles will also attend the service.
“We are very, very fortunate to have Year 8 student Makali Tonti come and give our Acknowledgement To Country.
“The Aboriginal people have been teaching himn to say it in the Aboriginal language.”
Cybele Hewitt, a 15-year-old Hennessy Catholic College student will read the poem she wrote for the annual ANZAC Writing Competition for which she received a highly commended book prize.
The Veterans Motorcycle Club will be a presence with 40 bikes to lead out the march. Watch carefully and you may even catch the special hand signals from Mr Mitchell as he communicates with the motorcyclists.
The Young Town Band and the Tuggeranong Valley Band will play towards the front of the march, while the Westinwinds Band from Canberra will play further down the parade.
The services around the region are as follows:
- Memorial service at Bendick Murrell Hall Memorial from 9 am.
- Dawn service at Boorowa Memorial from 6 am followed by an ANZAC march commencing at 10:30 am. If you are participating in the march, please assemble adjacent to the Old Court House Grounds at 10:15 am. The march will proceed from the corner of Queen and Marsden Streets to the War Memorial.
- There will be a march and memorial service commencing at 4pm in Bribbaree. Assemble in Weedallion Street, adjacent to the Bribbaree Bowling Club, if you are participating. The march will proceed west to the Cenotaph at ANZAC Park for wreath laying.
- A service will be held at the Crowther Memorial Gates at 10:15 am.
- Dawn Service will be held in front of the Galong Memorial Hall at 5:30 am followed by breakfast in the Hall.
- Harden-Murrumburrah will hold Dawn Service at Newson Park, Harden from 6 am. The ANZAC march will commence at 10:45 am. Those marching are asked to meet at the Harden Mechanics Institute at 10:15 am. The march will continue to Newson Park, where a memorial service will be conducted and conclude around noon. In the event of inclement weather, the services will be held at the Harden Mechanics Institute. Murrumburrah’s service at the Lighthouse Memorial will commence at noon.
- Jugiong’s march will commence at 3:30 pm from the Jugiong Police Station and conclude at the Memorial Park on Riverside Drive where a memorial service will be conducted. Marchers are asked to assemble at 3:15 pm.
- Dawn Service will commence at 6 am at the Memorial Gates in Koorawatha. The memorial service will be held at Koorawatha Memorial Gates from 10:45 am. All descendants wearing medals are welcome to join the march. Assemble in Boorowa Street adjacent to Koorawatha Regional Rooms.
- Monteagle ANZAC Service will be held at the Monteagle Community Hall from 2 pm.
- The Murringo servicer will be held at the Murringo Memorial Hall from 8:30 am. Participants are asked to assemble on Murringo Gap Road, adjacent to Murringo Public School for the march south to the Murringo Memorial Hall.
- The Dawn Service at Rugby Memorial Hall at 6:30 am will be followed by breakfast.
- Wirrimah will hold a service at 8:15 am in the Wirrimah Memorial.
- Wombat will honour the fallen at Dawn with six riders from the Harden Light Horse group providing a formation at the ceremony site (Corner of Rose and Young Streets) followed by presentations of Prayers and Hymns, the laying of wreaths and the sounding of the Bugle. Breakfast at Wombat Hotel will follow.
- Dawn Service will be held adjacent to the Young Town Hall Memorial Tower in Boorowa Street at 5:45 am. Marchers are asked to assemble at 10:30 am in Boorawa Street, adjacent to the Young Town Hall Memorial Tower. The march will commence at 10:45, progressing east along Boorowa Street, then north along Lynch Street, followed by west along Lovell Street to Anderson Park Memorial for the 11 am Memorial Service.
Hilltops News to your inbox
Sign up now for the latest news from the Hilltops Area direct to your inbox.