Boorowa CWA Gets Ready To Celebrate Its Centenary
IMAGE: Mrs Ada Beven was the very first president of the Boorowa CWA.
Excitement is high as Boorowa CWA gears up for its centenary with a Fun in the Park event on Saturday, November 25 from 10 am to 2 pm.
A full day of activities for all ages, including games for the kids to enjoy.
Grab yourself a delicious barbecue sausage from the sausage sizzle and browse the Christmas crafts and cooking for sale.
Check out the display of memorabilia collected over Boorowa CWA’s 100 years of existence and stick around for a piece of the huge centenary cake on offer.
There have been some significant highlights for the Boorowa CWA in their first 100 years, including:
- The establishment of the first Travelling Baby Health Clinic in NSW whereby district centres were visited by a nursing sister from Boorowa;
- The work done during World War II by members to support the war effort, including Clara Montgreenan Stevenson’s Sheepskin Vest Scheme; and
- The significant contribution to causes and charities in Boorowa and the district over the last 100 years.
This year, of course, Boorowa CWA has been busy serving the Boorowa community through:
- The establishment of Boorowa CWA Mothers’ Play Group;
- The management of the Pavilion Tea Room at the Boorowa Show, serving Devonshire tea and sandwiches to Show attendees and workers;
- Selling tea, coffee and scones to local community members and awardees at the Australia Day celebrations; and
- Celebrating Burrowa House Fundraiser, celebrating 30 years of Burrowa House, with CWA staff selling Devonshire tea, scones and tea to guests and residents with all proceeds going to Burrowa House.
Mayor Margaret Roles, Deputy Mayor Alison Foreman and Boorowa Councillors will be in attendance for the event, so mark your diaries because this is an event that you won’t want to miss.
Boorowa CWA met for its 2023 AGM on Tuesday, October 10, at which the election of new officials was presided over by former President of the Young Branch, Carol Xuereb.
The new committee comprises:
- President, Belle Banks;
- Secretary, Karen Smith;
- Treasurer, Jane Saillard
- Vice Presidents, Yvonne Murphy and Christine Coble
- International Officer, Virginia Keighley
- Handicrafts Officer, Kristy Miller
- Cultural Officer, Natalie Downey
- Group Councillors, Karen Smith and Jane Saillard; and
- Catering Committee, Christine Coble, Fiona Gorham, Kristy Miller, Virginia Keighley and Jayne Apps.
Get in Contact
Hilltops News to your inbox
Sign up now for the latest news from the Hilltops Area direct to your inbox.