Boorowa Uniting Church will be celebrating its 150th anniversary with a service of Thanksgiving.
The service will commemorate 150 years of continued worship in the church. Reverend Keith Robinson of Riverina Presbytery will be the guest preacher and the Boorowa M & D Choir will perform a musical item.
The church was given the name “The Little Brick Church” when the Wesleyan Church was built in Burrowa in 1869. It was built by James Preston and cost 320 pounds plus an extra 10 pounds for plastering. The building is still standing today, with a school hall added in 1937.
The Wesleyan (1869-1905), Methodist (1905-1977) and now Uniting Church congregations had been served by 24 ordained ministers continually from 1869 to 1996. Rev. G. T. Morrison, father of James Morrison the renowned trumpeter, served the Boorowa community of the Methodist Church for a four year term from 1961.
Retired minister Rev. Ray Timms conducted church services for a short time. Arnold Spackman is the current leader of the church.
The service will take place on Sunday the 24th of November beginning at 10.30am with a light lunch to follow. All are invited to attend the service. The church is on the corner of Farm and Briall Streets in Boorowa.
Sign up now for the latest news from the Hilltops Area direct to your inbox.