With current seasonal conditions being very favourable for flies, this could be shaping up as one of biggest flystrike risk seasons in many years. Are you prepared?
There are a number of costs associated with flystrike –decreased wool growth, tender wool, decreased ewe reproductive performance and deaths. Developing and implementing a flystrike plan that integrates both non-chemical and chemical management, will greatly assist you to decrease your risk of flystrike.
Cause of flystrike:
• Lucilia cuprina: The female ‘green’ fly initiates greater than 90% of strikes. The ‘secondary green’ (Hairy Maggot Blowfly) causes secondary strikes.
• Accumulation of dags: Can typically be caused by scouring due to high worm burden, lush green feed or overfeeding grain.
• Wet fleece: Provides favourable conditions for body strike.
• Air temperature: 18 to 38oC
• Soil temperature: Greater than 15oC
• Wind speed: Less than 30km/hr
• Humid conditions/after rain: Body strike risk
• Breech wrinkle and wool cover: Excessive wrinkle and wool cover over the breech area allows wet dags and stain to create an environment conducive to the laying and hatching of blowfly larvae.
• Other strike: Sweat around the base of horns can trigger flystrike.
• Wounds: Marking wounds can trigger flystrike. Wounds from rams fighting are also entry points.
|Product||WHP Meat||ESI||HWHP Wool||Protection Length|
|Extinosad Eliminator||Nil||Nil||Nil||Up to 8 days|
Note: Proguard and Clik do not kill existing maggots.
• Withholding periods and length of protection
|Product||WHP Meat||ESI||WHP Wool||Protection Length|
|Backliner (off shears/short wool)||Clik||28 days||120 days||90 days||18-24 weeks|
|Avenge||21 days||63 days||Refer label||Up to 10 weeks|
|Hand jetting (long wool)||Extinosad Eliminator||Nil||Nil||Nil||Up to 5 weeks|
|Proguard Liquid||7 days||21 days||60 days||14 weeks|
|Zinjet||7 days||7 days||42 days||Up to 12 weeks|
|Backliner (long wool)||Proguard||7 days||28 days||60 days||11 weeks|
|Clik||28 days||120 days||90 days||18-24 weeks|
|Clik Zin||7 days||21 days||30 days||11 weeks|
** ‘Long wool’ includes wool length 6 weeks post shearing.*
Contact the friendly staff at Nutrien Ag Solutions Young on (02) 6382 7600 or call in and see us at 99 Lovell St, Young.
Sign up now for the latest news from the Hilltops Area direct to your inbox.