St John’s Anglican Church celebrated the completion of several projects, with a thanksgiving service led by the Right Reverend Carol Wagner, Assistant Bishop of Canberra and Goulburn on Sunday, May 16.
The projects included repair of the church’s lamp of remembrance, memorial lychgate leading into the church grounds and two stained glass windows.
The lychgate was originally built in 1928, and the glass lamp of remembrance, which hangs over the gate, records names of the local men who lost their lives in the First World War.
The good shepherd window was installed in 1957-58, provided by the Hume family in memory of their parents, Charles Ludovia and Celia Ann Hume.
The St Johannes window was also installed at this time, donated by the Ovens family in memory of their father, John Ovens.
Bendigo Bank’s Enterprise Foundation committed $11,000, along with a Department of Veterans’ Affairs Community War Memorials Fund grant of $10,000 and many private donors covering the $40,000 cost.
Sign up now for the latest news from the Hilltops Area direct to your inbox.