St Mark’s Church at Currawong will be celebrating 100 years of services this Saturday, the 14th of September.
A 10am service with the Bishop will be held, followed by a morning tea. All are invited. It will be an opportunity to catch up with fellow parishioners, descendants of the original congregation and all who have been involved with the church.
The book, ‘The Church in a Paddock: Celebrating 100 Years of St Mark’s Church Currawong’ written by Don Jamieson will also be launched on the day.
St Mark’s was opened and consecrated on Sunday the 11th of May, 1919. Services were held continuously until the end of 1956, with no services held between 1957 and 1961. Services recommenced in 1962 and continued until 1975. Some services were held between 1981 and 1985, but none were held from 1985-1988, with a special meeting called in December by the Parish Council to determine the future of the church.
The building was unsuitable to hold services and a Currawong Committee was formed to determine work and costs needed to restore the church to working order. After the Parish Council announced its intention to begin proceedings to dispose of the land and buildings, the Currawong Committee was able to secure donations of cash, paint and labour to restore the church and report the Currawong congregation would carry out normal maintenance.
St Mark’s now has an 8am service on the first Sunday of each month, as well as special services for Christmas and Easter.
Sign up now for the latest news from the Hilltops Area direct to your inbox.